Safe Routes to School grants awarded to Munising area school

For Immediate Release:
Sept. 24, 2012
 
Contact: Marty Fittante
517-373-7840
 
 
Safe Routes to School grants awarded to Munising area school
 
LANSING, Mich.— On Monday, State Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba, and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) announced that six schools in four counties throughout the state will receive Safe Routes to School (SRTS) grants to encourage more students to walk and bicycle safely to school.               

Federal SRTS funding enables schools to make infrastructure improvements and offer educational activities, such as the Walking School Bus program.

“The SRTS funding enables our local school districts to improve on infrastructure in order to allow our students the best opportunities possible,” said Casperson. “Munising schools will now have the proper funding to improve their facilities, focusing on student safety first and foremost.”

William G. Mather Elementary School in Munising will install sidewalks and crosswalks on M-28 and Cherry and Jewell streets, along with upgraded signs and pavement markings at the intersections of Elm Ave. and Jewell St., and Elm Ave. and Chocolay St.

The school also will implement a walking school bus program, weekly walk/bike to school days, a park-and-walk program, a student safety patrol, and a program for adult volunteers. The project budget is $119,757.

"The Safe Routes to School program enables schools and communities to make transportation improvements that make walking and bicycling safer options for students of all ages," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "With this round of federal funding, MDOT is helping to establish Safe Routes programs in schools all the way from the Upper Peninsula to Detroit, and encourage children to develop active, healthy lifestyles."

###

http://www.misenategop.com/senators/readarticle.asp?id=5410&District=38

Last load of rock to be hauled into Grand Marais for breakwall

For Immediate Release:
Sept. 7, 2012
 
Contact: Marty Fittante
517-373-7840
 
 
Last load of rock to be hauled into Grand Marais for breakwall
 
LANSING, Mich.— The breakwall being built in the Grand Marais harbor is nearing completion with the last load of armor stone set to be delivered on Saturday, Sept. 8.
 
“For more than 50 years, the community of Grand Marais worked to obtain funding and approval to build the much needed breakwall to save their harbor of refuge on Lake Superior,” said Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba. “To see the breakwall out in the harbor now is a testament of the strong determination, resilience, and hard work that is engrained in residents of the Upper Peninsula.”  
 
Last year, the state of Michigan contributed $5 million to the project. Those funds along with revenues collected from local residents, volunteers and supporters and federal dollars ensured that the breakwall could finally be constructed. Work began on the wall this spring and is slated to be finished this fall.  
 
More than 1,000 semi-truck loads of rocks and armor stones weighing around 7-9 tons each were hauled into Grand Marais throughout the construction process.  
 
Burt Township Supervisor Jack Hubbard, driving a fire truck, will lead the last load of the breakwall’s armor stones into town Saturday.
 
Joining Hubbard in the festivities will be State Sen. Tom Casperson, a former log hauler, who will drive the truck containing the last of the armor stones into town and to the harbor.
 
Residents of the area are encouraged to visit Grand Marais on Saturday and celebrate the monumental project.
 
The festivities will take place around the Main Street area in Grand Marais around 2 p.m. Saturday. Local residents are encouraged to join in the fun.

For more information or to contact Casperson, please visit www.senatortomcasperson.com or call toll-free at 1-866-305-2038.
 

###